Update: Galena Nursing Center
September 17, 2020
Hello! First let me say, that your loved one has had no change of condition. Instead, we’re happy to inform you that the in-room quarantine has been lifted at our community. This quarantine was in place related to the one positive staff member that was identified and reported to you on 9/2. Today we hosted a socially-distanced Mexican Fiesta complete with table-side guacamole and margaritas to celebrate the end of our in-room quarantine and our continued success at keeping COVID out of Galena Nursing Center.
To assure compliance with current regulation, we are continuing to complete 100% testing of all staff twice weekly as required based on the percentage of COVID-19 cases within our county. Since the initial testing on 9/2, all results of the staff members of our community have been reported as negative.
In accordance with our pandemic guidelines we continue to adhere to the following practices in attempt to keep your loved one safe and COVID-19 out of our community.
- Monitoring residents for symptoms every shift
- All staff wearing masks while on duty and gloves in resident rooms.
- Twice weekly testing of all staff that enter our community
- In accordance with federal and state guidelines, we are only allowing visitors related to compassionate care at this time.
- We are continuing to disinfect surfaces throughout the community
- We continue to have an adequate supply of PPE and more available if needed
As always, we will continue to notify you of any changes within our community or any new positive test results amongst our residents or staff. We believe open and transparent communication, balanced with protecting individual privacy is essential at this time. Please direct all of your future questions to our administrator Jackie Windham. Thank you for your continued support during these challenging times.
Update: Friday, July 3, 2020
To our Americare Families:
Our communities recently shared their plans to open visitation for residents and their loved ones. Some communities have already started and others are set to start.
As you know, the states in which we operate are experiencing a surge in COVID-19 cases. This is prompting states and counties to issue additional guidelines on when senior living communities can start guest visits (outside or inside).
We ask that you contact your community directly prior to your scheduled visit to determine if visits have been temporarily placed on hold. We still welcome window visits (providing windows remain closed).
We too want to reunite our residents and their families. Doing so in a responsible manner will help keep our residents and employees safe. We appreciate your continued support during these challenging times.
Americare Senior Living
Update: Wednesday, September 2, 2020
Good afternoon Galena Nursing Center Family:
Thank you for taking our calls today regarding our situation at Galena Nursing Center. For those of you we did not reach we attempted to leave a message. Here is a recap of what we discussed:
- Today we received notification that an employee tested positive for COVID-19. The employee’s last day worked was today.
- The employee will remain at home in quarantine.
- As we explained, we have recently received new guidance regarding testing. Due to Cherokee county having an infection rate higher than 10% (actual 14.6% currently) we will be testing our staff twice per week.
- We will inform you of any new positive test result
- We will not be testing residents unless it is requested by the Resident, their legal representative, their physician, if they were to develop symptoms or we were requested to do so by a health official. We would notify you and gain the resident or your consent prior to testing.
- Today in accordance with our pandemic guidelines we placed all of our residents on in-room quarantine which will continue at least through September, 16th, which represents 14 days from possible exposure.
- We began monitoring residents for symptoms every 4 hours during awake time
- All staff are wearing N95-masks while on duty and gloves in resident rooms.
- We have an adequate supply of personal protective equipment on hand and more available should we need it.
- Our most recent health check show no residents with signs or symptoms
- Today in accordance with our pandemic guidelines, the administrator contacted the local and state health departments to report the positive test results.
- In accordance with federal and state guidelines we are allowing no visitors at this time.
- We are continuing to disinfect surfaces throughout the community
We believe open and transparent communication, balanced with protecting individual privacy is essential at this time. Please direct all of your questions to me. Thank you for your support during these challenging times.
Jackie Windham, Administrator
May 8, 2020
To our Americare residents, families and friends,
First, let me take this opportunity to say thank you for your support during these difficult times. As a company with nearly 40 years serving seniors, Americare has provided incredible support to our local teams in terms of information, personal protective equipment, and technology resources. Guidance at the federal and state level changes rapidly, and we have done our best to ensure all of our communities are in compliance with the latest updates.
As an industry we have been asking for more testing for our residents and employees and we are now getting the response we’ve been seeking. On May 1, 2020 The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) issued new COVID-19 testing guidance.
I believe open and transparent communication, balanced with protecting individual privacy is essential at this time. Because testing will be a much more frequent occurrence at a community level, I want to clarify what you should expect in the coming weeks:
- Rather than waiting for all symptoms to be consistent with the virus, the department is instructing providers to test residents and staff under a much broader scope.
- As a result we will be testing a much higher number of residents and employees on an ongoing basis.
- You will be notified privately should your loved one require testing and of the results (usually available within 48 hours)
- If we are testing a resident or staff member we will likely place the community on in-room quarantine pending the results.
- Should we have a positive result of either a resident or employee we will, that same day, inform all of our residents, staff and families and provide our plan for limiting additional exposure.
To help keep rumors from spreading we want to ensure that our families and residents have accurate information. I ask that you contact your local administrator should you have a question or concern.
Again thank you for your on-going support. We will get through this together.
Regional Operations Director
Americare Skilled Nursing Division, Kansas